Tuesday, October 21, 2008

photography

I was wondering through time magazine and saw a picture of this little girl staring into the camera sitting in a empty room on a couch... thats it. It was calm and collected yet spooky and odd. It drew me in and I started to read.

This article was about a normal photographer, loretta lux. she captivates people with her work. she photographs children because "they have no reservations, they are the most honest models." she says. Lux pays attention to form, shape and color. What I like the most about Loretta Lux and her work is that it is a mystery, the viewer is the one to decide what it is supposed to represent, or mean. I like that because every individual is different and interprets everything differently and its good to see what others see in something, it can introduce you into a new way of looking at things. 


Time magazine
Carolyn Sayre
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1810329,00.html 

2 comments:

Hannah D said...

When looking through my pictures, I find that my best pictures are often of children because they are so willing to show their emotions, like Loretta Lux says. I agree that I like photographs where the background isn't always a super complex setting. I think this allows the viewer to see the picture as if the subject was him or her. One can more easily relate to the subject without all the "fluff" in the background. Sometimes the greatest photographs are where the most complex thing in the photo is the face. Granted, the face is more interesting when it shows emotion, leading back to Lux's idea that children are the best models because they have no reservations. I would love to see some of her work and how she is able to capture emotion in a picture.

Meghan M said...

Wow, I went to the website to view the picture and I agree with you; it is a very fascinating picture that gives off an eerie feeling. I like the lighting and color tones she chose to use and am impressed by how well that little girl can model! It would be interesting to view more of her work.