Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Epilogue?

Not many auto-biographies end with a Epilogue but Obama ends "The Audacity of Hope" talking about his days up to giving the keynote address at the 2004 democratic convention. Obama also talks about how he had to get used to being spotted out in public, his new found fame and how he wondered how all of this really came about. By the end of this chapter he thinks of his old friends advice that had really helped him along the way:
"It's not that compromise is inherently wrong. I just did'nt find it satisfying. And the one thing I've discovered as I get older is that you have to do what is satisfying to you. In Fact that's one of the advantages of old age, I suppose, that you've finally learned what matters to you. It's hard to know that at twenty-six. And the problem is that nobody else can answer that question for you. you can only fingure it out on your own".

This auto-biography was a interesting read. I expected a different feel to it. I thought it would be more of Obama recalling memories and his life growing with his mother and his dad being gone and then eventually his grandmother, but it was'nt it was him recalling his life in politics and how it changed his life and how it forever will. 

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thats really interesting. I want to eventually read it! I thought it was about his childhood more but i'm glad to hear its about his political career too. I bet his book will grow incresingly popular now that he's president.